::: Song of the Week :::

Monday, September 29, 2008

Singapore Formula1 Grand Prix

The first night race in history for F1 Grand Prix and it was held in Singapore! I couldn't be any more proud than being a Singaporean. From internet to newspaper, so many positive reviews on the way we organized the event. Even myself overhead some tourists giving thumbs up on how organize and smooth the way Singapore ran the event.

I arrived pretty late (about 4pm), to avoid being under the sun the whole day. It was a night of excitement for me, with adrenalin pumping through my veins.

Last night's race had so many accidents. The joker of the night, Felipe Massa who was ahead of rival Lewis Hamilton at the time after 15 laps, was given the green light to leave the pits but the fuel hose was still attached as he accelerated away, spraying petrol and knocking over one of the pit crew. This comical error had him dearly, who had to settle being 13th after the race.

It was a miserable night for Ferrari with defending world champion Kimi Raikkonen ramming his car into the barriers with just four laps left. At the grand prix itself, I saw so many Ferrari fans wearing the red color Ferrari Polo tee. I could imagine their disappointment.

I'm a fan of little Lewis Hamilton. Last night wasn't his best performance. He started off from 2nd place, after the the first accident, came in 8th place and from there slowly climbed back up to 6th, 4th and finally finished off the race coming in the 3rd place.

And who would have thought that Spain's Fernando Alonso, who started 15th on the grid after a mechanical problem in qualifying, won his first race in a year at the Singapore Grand Prix last night.

Managed to take some pictures and made it into a slide show. Enjoy!~


What a difference a day make
"The race is lost. You can't overtake here and I'm starting from 15th, so I will be going out just to lap the track, but it's over already."
Race winner Fernando Alonso, after his car developed mechanical problems during qualifying on Saturday night.

"Fantastic. The first podium of the season and the first victory. I can't believe it right now, I need a couple of days to realise that we could win a race this year..."
Alonso, after claiming his first win of the seaon last night.


Reports from today's newspaper
Foreigners vowed to return next year, charmed by what they had seen. Said Briton Simon Crosse, 44: "This is my first visit, and I've been overwhelmed. I've been to about 15 other Grands Prix, and this is the best. The night atmosphere, the organisation, it was just fantastic."

The sport's supremo, Bernie Ecclestone, called Singapore the "jewel in the crown of F1".

Writing in London's Sunday Times yesterday, columnist and former race driver Martin Brundle called the Republic a "world-class venue". Of night racing, he added, "all of the senses are heightened, and the atmosphere...was electrifying".

Said championship leader Lewis Hamilton: "The most impressive thing for me is what an amazing job they have done here in Singapore to prepare the circuit. I think they did a tremendous job."



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2008 Da Ecchi Stars Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designed by WinterFairy